Many of us don’t know what the medical term “Bariatric” means. In layman’s term, Bariatric refers to the medical treatment of obesity. A Bariatric Surgery is not recommended for all obese people; only those who have tried other weight loss methods and failed are advised to undergo this procedure. According to experts, obese people are more likely to suffer from heart diseases, stroke, diabetes, and even cancer. Below are some of the Bariatric Surgeries that can help you back in shape and feel healthier again:

Gastric Bypass

This procedure is commonly referred to by medical experts as the “Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass”. Basically, there are two types of techniques used in a Gastric Bypass surgery: restriction and malabsorption. During the procedure, the surgeon shrinks the size of the stomach to that of a small pouch. The goal is to make its size as close as possible to the size of an egg. Since the stomach is made smaller, the desire to intake food and beverages will be lessened. Also, this new stomach pouch will bypass a portion of the small intestines to limit the absorption of calories and nutrients.

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap-Band)

Also referred to as the “Lap-band”, a Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band is a silicone band a surgeon places around the patient’s stomach through 3 small incisions. Just like the Gastric Bypass Surgery, the goal of this Lap-band is to reduce the size of the stomach by tightening the band over time. Gastric bands restrict the amount of food and beverages the patient can comfortably consume. Unlike the Gastric Bypass Surgery, the absorption of calories and nutrients are not reduced by gastric bands.

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy

In severe cases of obesity, it’s not enough to just make the size of the stomach a little smaller. The so-called Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is a bariatric surgery procedure that aims to remove about 80% of the stomach. Yes, you read it right. During this procedure, the surgeon targets to leave just 20% of the stomach and remove the remaining 80%. Aside from limiting food consumption, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is also limiting ghrelin—it is the appetite-regulating hormone. Since the appetite is low, the patient will feel less hungry. Just like the La-band, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is also not reducing the absorption of calories and nutrients.

Aside from Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band, and Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy; there are other bariatric surgeries that can help obese people look and feel good again. If you are considering a plastic surgery in dubai, our medical professionals might help you. Go to our website today and learn more about bariatric conditions and treatments.